[thechat] Next Anime Step?

Seb Potter seb at poked.org
Wed Jul 9 11:11:10 CDT 2003

> I'm just getting my feet wet in anime myself, and have *really* enjoyed
> the "Cowboy Bebop" series. Great action, hip music, and cool characters.
> The movie's great, too, but I'd recommend seeing the series first to get
> all the characters' background stories. (kinda helps you better
> understand Faye's urgent need for money, and Ed's..well, Ed's story
> could be a whole series by itself)

I'm just starting Cowboy Bebop and Samurai X at the moment, as I'm ahead on
films but behind on shows.

> I'll probably check out "Ghost in the Shell" and "Evangelion"
> next...along with the other recommendations that have been posted so
> far.

Ghost in the Shell is really, really good. When it first came out, I just
happened to be president of Reading University's scifi soc, and I managed
to get hold of an import video before it hit the cinemas in the UK. We
showed it twice in the space of a week. The first time, about 20 people
showed up in the little room that we used. Five days later, entirely on
word-of-mouth from the couple of dozen people that showed up, demand was so
great that we had over 400 people show up and had to take over the student
union bar to get everyone in. That one night funded our society's socials
for the next year. :)

If you like really lush animation, check out Blood: the Last Vampire. It's
absolutely gorgeous, but be warned, the story makes no sense and it
finishes really unexpectedly.

There's also the Urotsukidoji series of movies (Legend of the Overfiend,
Legend of the Demon Womb, etc.) which is extremely graphic, lots of
explicit sex scenes and 300-foot appendages, totally unsuitable for kids,
but still a pretty good set of movies.

- seb

--
http://poked.org