[thechat] Next Anime Step?

Ben Dyer bendyer at swbell.net
Thu Jul 10 08:34:59 CDT 2003

On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 07:53 US/Central, Alan McCoy wrote:

> I caught a few moments of an episode of "Trigun". Anyone have any
> thoughts on that series? Seemed pretty decent.

I bought the box set for Trigun a little over a year ago now.  I have
enjoyed Trigun very much.

The overall story (which could be called a sci-fi western) is about a
man by the name of Vash the Stampede, an outlaw on a desert planet
somewhere who has a $$60,000,000,000 (60 billion double dollar) bounty
on his head.  He is supposed to be the world's greatest gunman, but no
one knows much about him, so rumors fill in the gaps for everyone on
the planet.

It turns out that Vash the Stampede is really just a flake.  Everyone
expects him to be mean and scary, but he's not, he seems to be just a
loud, harmless idiot.  He is, however, undoubtedly an excellent
marksman and a man who refuses to kill (despite the rumors).

This is how the first half of the story proceeds, mostly silly
adventures in Vash's world as Vash tries to protect the innocent people
around him.

Then it turns darker and more sinister as the overall plot is laid out.
  We see into Vash's past as the story explains why he is what he is.
The story gets more violent and almost brooding at times.  Other
characters are introduced who flesh out Vash's storyline more and we
learn just why Vash has that huge bounty on his head in the first place.

Now, because Trigun is basically these two, almost separate stories, it
can feel disjointed at times.  However, Trigun was one of my early
favorite titles and I can easily recommend it.

If you like the overall plot of Trigun, I can also recommend Rurouni
Kenshin.
If you like the feel of the sci-fi western, I also recommend Cowboy
Bebop and Outlaw Star.

--Ben