[thechat] re: Today, I hate Apple (was: eudora/mac challenge)

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Sat Jul 12 15:32:29 CDT 2003

hmm.... lots of interesting and potentially helpful suggestions...

well, I can't find anything called "mbox"... sherlock can't find
it... I cant find it drilling down into my documents folder... I feel
like a goddam idiot, but that's nothing new.  WTF am I doing with a
computer, anyway.

The ebay suggestion for OS9 is intriguing.  I am currently back in
underclass mode so it will be awhile before I got money again for
either RAM or an OS...  I was going to load up with ram and try the
OSX installation myself, but this mac tech guy told me the
tray-loading iMacs don't run it well (I don't know the processor
speed, where do you find that info? It's not the original bondi iMac
it's the second batch, the five flavor iMac) and furthermore he told
me that if I don't update my firmware (whatever that means) it could
destroy the video capabilities?

I've talked to three different people who work on macs for a living,
and been told three different things, from that it could destroy the
universe, to that it could run fine...

Anyway, first I guess I need to find software for my CD burner so
that I can back important stuff up... then I guess I'll decide if I'm
going to try OS9 or OSX and deal with the RAM issue accordingly.

I tried to have this apple store install RAM and they had troubles
with it because I guess my iMac is ANCIENT... had to get order
special chips for ANCIENT computers.  When the other guy told me I
could destroy my video and f*ck up my computer I told them don't do
it... right now I have 160 megs which is fine for OS 8.6.

I bought this ANCIENT computer in April of 1999.

I think I like guitars better than computers.  I just sold my Ibenez
Roadstar II to a store for $50 less than it cost brand new in 1982.
They'll sell it for more than I paid for it.  It still works fine,
and I never had to upgrade or modify it, not even once.  And instead
of sniffing at it because it's old (like the Apple store guys do with
my ANCIENT iMac) the guitar store guys go "cool, an old Roadstar..."
even admiring the plywood-covered-with-brown-vinyl case.

Erika