[thechat] Security web cams

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 15:50:46 CDT 2003

OK, so maybe I am a bit more paranoid than I should be, but we have a lot of
expensive and irreplaceable stuff in our flat and I don't want to lose it.
There seem to be hundreds of home surveillance kits out there, I am quite
keen on http://www.veo.com/Observer/default.asp#details but the software
seems inadequate. I know you are all a load of techno-boffins out there, and
I'm sure some of you must have (or have looked into) a similar kind of set
up. Here is what I am after...

1. Camera of some kind that connects to a LAN
2. Capable of motion detection
3. Software that will upload images/video to a remote server when the motion
detector is triggered
4. Camera must produce a decent image in low light
5. Costs no more than £200 ($300)

I have looked at several web cams, but most shops don't have them hooked up
to a computer so I can only go by reviews. Anybody out there care to
recommend anything that would fit my needs?

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk