[thechat] homemade cable tv distribution

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Aug 4 09:29:00 CDT 2003

John Handelaar wrote:
> [...]

Excellent description - you been writing for What Satellite or something? ;)

> changes channel in hardware, not software.  I'd be
> slightly surprised if the 'industrial' version
> didn't cost an arm and a leg -- its job, effectively,
> is to repeat the job of that LNB for every receiver
> on the network.

also the fact most sats run mixed polarity transponders, some vertical, some
horizontal - the decoder can command the LNB to shunt polarity to receive
different trps from the same bird.  If you have multiple decoders running
from the same LNB, when one commands the LNB to shunt, the others will
probably lose reception if they are tuned to channels of differing polarity.

> Also look out:  in the UK, you'd be running a cable
> TV service without a license.  *Highly* illegal here,
> you should find out local laws on the subject first.

absofuckinglutely, I've no doubt it's just as illegal anywhere else.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like