[thechat] high fidelity quiz

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 16:13:29 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 09:26  pm, Luther, Ron wrote:

> I'm surprised (since I haven't bought vinyl in quite a long time and
> have been trying to rip the vinyl I do have to MP3s) ... but I got the
> same result.
>
> {It's either the fact that I'm old and actually own a nice turn-table,
> or that vintage Doris Day album I once special ordered for an ex-wife.
> No, honest, she *really* wanted it - no, I'm not kidding!}
>

> RonL.
> (Who, however, doesn't own any hardware that will play the vintage
> 78s he's been lugging around for the last couple of decades.)

We're just about to dump our turntable (actually, the whole stereo) in
favour of a simple iPod with quality amp and speakers setup. Even our
CDs are deprecated once they're ripped to AAC, particularly as the CD
player on the stereo is a lot more pernickity about CD scratches/clart
than the one in my Mac. I've managed to rescue albums that I thought
I'd have to trash.

I think we'll be keeping the vinyl for hysterical reasons. If I got the
time/energy I might burn 'em onto CD and rip, but meantime, they look
good.

cheers
Martin