[thechat] Bar snacks

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sat Aug 9 10:26:57 CDT 2003

Hello folks.

I dunno if I told you this, but I found a 3000 sq ft place for my
restaurant in a nice business district that also happens to be close to a
rich neighbourhood. Phew, that only took two months. ;)

The place I'm taking is divided into two office units - 2250 and 800 sq.
ft. respectively. I'm turning the first into a regular 60-seater South East
Asian food restaurant, and the second into a bar/cocktail lounge seating
about 35. I'm planning a warm, cosy ambience for the restaurant and a more
informal, relaxed, smoky and mysterious ambience for the bar lounge.

OK, on to the topic of my post: bar snacks.

Not being a drinker myself, I haven't visited too many bars. But I find
that most bar owners here are penny wise and pound foolish about free
snacks. They see it as merely an expense. I see it as a way to a) build
more goodwill and b) get people to buy more drinks.

So what I want to know is: what do you like or recommend for free snacks to
go with drinks? Apart from the regular chips/wafers/crisps (I think that
covers the term for most countries) and peanuts, that is.

Criteria:

1) Shouldn't be too expensive.
2) Should be easy to make in large quantities
3) Should get people to order more drinks (i.e., makes your throat dry)
4) Should be vegetarian.

Thanks,

Madhu