[thechat] beethoven's ninth

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Mon Aug 11 07:13:01 CDT 2003

Isaac Forman noted:

>>Bassists are loaded = bases are loaded = if batter hits it out of the park,
>>they've got 4 runs.

Hi Isaac,

I'm not a big baseball fan and I don't keep track of many of the rules and
such but IIRC, under the 'old rules' only one run would have scored. The
batter would have been credited with a 'single' and the game would have
ended when the runner on third crossed home plate.

RonL.
(Who's pretty sure that arguments over how many 'homers' folks like Babe
Ruth hit that didn't count because of this rule keep those crazy
Sabermetricians [1] busy.)

[1] http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-sab1.htm