[thechat] Bar snacks

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Mon Aug 11 13:54:37 CDT 2003

Anti-female work laws are always made with the idea of "protecting
women."  Actually, while women may appear to be easier targets,
anyone (especially anyone working alone) can be a target of crime. As
I recall, Germany had a similar anti-female night shift law when I
lived there back in the 80's.  ugh.

The best job I ever had was tending bar.   And believe me, if you are
the barkeep, you are standing behind the bar (a barrier), you have
what they want (booze), you -- the bartender -- have all the power,
you get all the respect.  A bartender gets more respect, and is
better protected, than a restaurant waitress or most other service
jobs.  Anyone wants to go after you, you grab the biggest bottle back
there (read: galliano) and use it for a bludgeon.

Or just call the cops.

I did close the bar, at night, alone.  But I had regular customers
who looked out for me. I would not let anyone in after closing
(another bartender did this,  and she almost got raped by a grubby
drunk) I pretty much always had at least one reliable person to watch
my back.  And usually more.  And those men, they will protect you,
the female bartender, Supreme Goddess of the Booze.

It makes me wonder if that anti-women in bars thing isn't deep down
because they will realize that women make excellent bartenders, many
old drunks like to sit and drink and look at, and talk to women
(especially young and attractive women) and so if women got to tend
bar, they'd take too many of the jobs away from men.  And have too
much fun at the same time.

My experience is that female bartenders & grubby drunks usually have
a very satisfactory symbiotic relationship.

Erika