[thechat] Restaurant toilets

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Wed Aug 13 01:00:41 CDT 2003

either a swinging door, or, this is what I do:

1. Take bit o' paper towel.
2. pull door open using paper towel as barrier between hand and handle.
3. stand on other side of door, still holding door ajar with foot.
4. reach back into the bathroom, toss papertowel into nearby trash can.
5. release foothold on door.

so.... you'll want to have

1. paper towels
2. a trash can within arms reach of the door.

my pet peeve... bathrooms with no paper towels, just those stupid air
machines.  UGH. Are they really more sanitary, efficient, and
environmentally aware?  prove it!  I want to see the research!

In a restaurant, I like bathrooms that are clean, well-lit (maybe an
overhead plus a lovely lamp, no florescent!) well-stocked, and don't
stink.   That in itself has got to be a huge effort, judging from
what I see.  I don't like it when there is too much air freshener, or
if it smells like a sewer or like insecticide.

Oh, I also hate the the restrooms that have the keys... usually
attached to a big plastic lid or a giant spoon or something.  Who
KNOWs what microbes lurk on those things...

oh, and I hate it when food service workers touch money or whatever,
and then instead of washing their hands, they rub on a little alcohol
jell and plunge  back into your food.

Just keeping things clean, stocked, and in good repair... that is
huge.  Full length mirror is good.  Peach soap is good.  Maybe a
small chair, a pretty lamp.

Erika