[thechat] pop tarts and smashed guitars (was: hell, I forgot)

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Aug 13 09:52:05 CDT 2003

Erika Meyer noted:

>>Oh, RonL, That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me
>>*sniff*.  I *heart* the Femmes.... well their older stuff, before
>>they got born again and sucky.

Hi Erika,

Good. It was meant in a nice way ... Rock On!   ;-)

{Gee, I dunno. I assume I was listening to their 'good stuff' - it was
'live' and pretty high energy ... but I wouldn't know for sure.
Whenever my son comes to visit I rip a few of his CDs so I can listen
to *his* music ... hear what's going on ... have him walk me through
some of today's sounds.

Let's see, this summer I snagged an Eminem, some 'Nappy Roots'?, some
new metal Czech or Slovak band he says is really good, [he probably
speaks fluent Slovak, so he would probably know]. I checked this site:
http://www.milan-skoda.cz/blindguardian/cdshopczechbandsa-f.htm
but I can't remember their dang name], and then ... he surprised me!

He had a 'sampler disc' ... 3 or 4 songs each from 3 or 4 new bands
with totally different styles ... and the disc came from .... SXSW!!

He didn't really have a clue what SXSW was ... so I had to fill him
in a bit (some kid at school gave him the disc) ... but it was
really good!  We listened to that, and his other stuff, while driving
up to check out Texas A&M ... he graduates high school next spring
so we needed to do the 'walk around with the dorky parents and visit
the university' thang.  [He liked UT-Austin a lot better, 'course I'm
not sure if that was because SXSW is there, or because we went on a
weekday in July and he may have noticed a few scantily clad co-eds
trying to beat the heat ... ] <sotto>but naturally us dad types
wouldn't know nothing about appreciating that kind of thing</sotto>.}

>>I was trying so hard to look cool ...

LOL!  And it felt so stressful then, didnt' it?

>>People were throwing all kinds of shit on stage, doll parts,
>>underwear, stuffed animal parts, stuff like that...

Ha! 'The more things change ...', eh?

Been there. Did that. Wore out the t-shirt and gave it to GoodWill.
[Is it 'sad' to wash your car with your old 'Stones tour' t-shirt? Or
izzat just another part of life? <shrug /> The way these rappers
trash each other these days I'd be surprised if they didn't use that
in their videos ... wax the Bentley using the face on a t-shirt from
another rapper's tour.]

RonL.
(Who's gonna have to do some serious editing to remove the rock lyrics
and images currently sprinkling the BRD he's attempting to write this
morning!)