[thechat] pop tarts and smashed guitars (was: hell, I forgot)

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Wed Aug 13 11:56:28 CDT 2003

erika,

> First of all: dammit, Morgan.  I was really enjoying the illusion
> that you might be a woman.  sheesh.

heh, you're not the first one to fall for that ol' trick....sheesh--i
didn't even get to whip it out.

and it gets worse, i'm like, a total geek too.

anyway, i'm sure the plans you had for me as a female are far less
disturbing than some other people's.

> Second, you are correct, I guess.   Morgan is TRADITIONALLY a man's
> name.  "Traditional" being the operative word, okay?
>
> http://www.crosswinds.net/~daire/names/celtscotmale.html
> http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/morgan.shtml#morgan_text
>
> I too am guilty of confusing Morrigan with Morgan, although,
> considering my daughter's middle name is MORGAN and that she has
> inherited this name from her FATHER who's middle name is also
> MORGAN... I am still happier with Morgan because Morgan is a
> reference to the sea (and Morrigan is just scary-- it would be a good
> goth name).

hey cool links, thanks!!!

and by the way, did you realize you gave your daughter a man's middle name?
;p

i'm not really that passionate on the subject. it was on all of those "top
baby
names for girls" lists for a few years. it wasn't on the last one i saw
though.

it remains an uncommon man's name in north america (i assume so in canada).
the chicks always dug it.

ever hear "chicks dig it"? (they're from calgary)
they play with their legs as far apart as a person can stand.
their crotches are like 6 inches from the floor. the whole set!

Morrigan sounds *really* cool in a slow, loud, monotone.

it's amazing to me still, how many morons came up with this in grade school:
"morgie porgie had an orgy"
(no one ever had a good line 2, though it certainly starts with potential)

and i always liked that it's welsch -- i'm welsch/english on dad's side, and
russian/polish on mom's side.

100% honkey-mutt you might say.

> My daughter was born by the sea.  I walked for a very long time on a
> Mad River Beach (near mouth of Mad River) at sunset, with a storm
> coming on, those warm winds and pretty clouds... in order to induce
> my labor... I kind of wished I could just give birth at the beach
> because hospitals suck.  While I was in labor, the rains started, and
> the next day or so our hospital room (Mad River Hospital is on
> wetland) actually flooded, and there were power outages, etc.

dude, i *love* mad river soda.

i know what you mean about the beach.

i'll tell ya, i sure wish i was lying on some warm beach
when my kids were born.

> So I don't care about the gender, the water is the significant
> reference. But yeah, she inherited the name from her dad.

well, i think we can grant you a one-time usage.
no really, i think that's cool.

i almost named my son morgan, but it was during the morgan-as-a-girl boom,
we didn't want him to be in 2nd grade with two girls in the same class named
morgan too....

wifey actually named my son in her 3rd month of pregnancy. she awoke one
morning and said, "we're having a boy and his name is Mason"

i thought it was too unusual at first, but arguing with wifey is usually a
bad idea....arguing with a pregnant wifey, heh, i do that in the car--by
myself.

and, Mason has suddenly turned up on those top baby names for boys lists.

go figure.

there's probably a subliminal message embedded in a pop-tart commercial
responsible.

i'm curious now, was the middle name "Morgan"  pre-decided, on a
non-gender-specific basis?

nagrom
with a RonL-style-aftergasp:

Zappa quiz:
find the vague reference to thing-fish in this message....