[thechat] Centrino 11b & 11g

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 09:05:21 CDT 2003

I am looking to buy a laptop computer, and I have kind of settled on the
Toshiba Satellite Pro M10. I want the laptop to be Wi-Fi enabled, and this
is one of the new Centrino thingys with everything needed already inside it.
For anyone interested in all the new Wi-Fi stuff you are aware of the new
11g technology and the potential problems with it. Centrino is based on the
older, but more stable, 11b which is totally adequate for what I want to use
it for. What I can't seem to find an answer to is this; can I upgrade a
Centrino laptop to 11g in the future? Because all the chips needed for
wireless are an integral part of the machine I am not sure if this is
possible. In an ideal world I would be able to slot in an 11g card and it
would override the internal 11b chip. Anyone able to answer this, or point
me in the right direction?

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk