[thechat] Centrino 11b & 11g

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Sep 1 16:15:36 CDT 2003

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Yeah, I've seen this. What people are doing is breaking open 11g routers,
> taking the cards out and putting them in their laptop. It is not, I have
> been assured, for the faint of heart.
> Actually what I meant was, you showed me a card stuck in the side of your
> computer that was the Wi-Fi link, I was wondering if I put an 11g card into
> a Centrino computer would it override the 11b chip? Can't seem to find
> anything on Google, and I don't trust the guy in the shop trying to make me
> part with my hard earned credit who says it will work.

No real reason why it shouldn't work - simply tell the controlling OS (in
the case of a Centrino laptop, it's probably Windows xp) to use whatever
card you've just inserted into the PCMCIA socket (obviously with the right
drivers preinstalled) and not to not use the wifi chipset by disabling the
onboard wifi NIC, either under Devices, or in the Networking config.

Either that or install Linux, which has no Centrino wifi support :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like