'intolerance of ambiguity' was: RE: [thechat] Mumbai bomb blasts

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Tue Sep 2 13:36:48 CDT 2003

>>  You kill?  On purpose?  You die.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/134264_will10.html

I may be hungry, but at least I can enjoy stuff like this.

"...A study funded by the US government has concluded that
conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses
rooted in 'fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of
ambiguity.'

'This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the
familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions and to impose simplistic
cliches and stereotypes'".

American editorials on this report are pretty much choking in their
own bile, but actually, the authors give the Bush administration a
way out... it's not that Bush *lied* about Iraq's WMD, it's just that
he "needed closure."

Perhaps we are simply are a nation of people who "need closure."

Though I'm just not sure that killing (legally or otherwise)
really brings closure...

It just doesn't seem to me to work that way.
Perhaps that's why they don't call me a conservative.