[thechat] calling all winos...

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Sep 3 10:55:14 CDT 2003

Chris Evans asked:

>>I'm normally a beer drinker, but am interested in spreading my interests
>>to red wine.  I'm looking for a few "standard" wines that aren't
>>incredibly expensive, but if I have wine snobs over, they aren't going
>>to turn up their noses at my poor taste.

Hi Chris,

There are many other kinds of 'reds' and red blends, but I'll start off by
suggesting a merlot. [Merlots generally run on the 'drier' side and it's
VERY much a matter of personal taste how 'dry' you like your merlot.]

I'm a 'bargain hunter', so it may not be the most pretentious, but I like
the 'private selection' merlot from Robert Mondavi -- and it's pretty easy
to find _anywhere_ in the US:
http://www.rmprivateselection.com/wines.asp

Here are a bunch of reviews on various Merlots:
http://www.epinions.com/fddk-Wines-All-Merlot/pp_~1#list

If you have a 'large' liquor store in your area you might take a look to
see if they put the 'rating' next to some of their wines. [There is a
Specs near my house that does this.]  That way you can look for a 'cheap'
wine that gets a good 'rating' ... to impress your snooty pals!  ;-)

Here's a link to wine spectator ... I think that's the group that does the
ratings.
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Help/Login_Access_Denied/1,2422,,00.html

{NOTE: A high rating may not mean it 'tastes great' ... but if you can
get a bottle of red with a "91" rating for $8 ... you can sound snooty
by casually mentioning the high rating to your company.}    ;-P

HTH,

RonL.
(Oh!  Not that anyone pays attention ... but if you're shooting to
impress you probably shouldn't chill the merlot ... unless you can
pull off that 'I'm too cool not to break the rules' vibe a chilled
merlot would probably come off as a n00b mistake.)