[thechat] Mumbai bomb blasts

Sean G. ethanol at mathlab.sunysb.edu
Wed Sep 3 22:30:13 CDT 2003

[major snippage]
>> I can tell you that if you kill someone near to me, I will wait until
>> you get out and I will kill you personally, mercifully (I am not a sadist),
>> but assuredly, and I will go to my grave knowing that I have not sinned,
>> and perhaps even done society a favor.
>
>"Most criminals think they are restoring an imbalance that the victim has
>created by his own actions... In the criminal's view, the victim deserved to
>be punished... Criminals tend to see moral issues as cut and dried‹no
>ambiguity for them. They are overly sensitive to perceived injustices and
>believe in getting even. Motivated by revenge, a primitive form of justice,
>they tend to believe in harsh punishment, even capital punishment."
>-by Richard Moran, MHC professor of sociology
>http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/comm/csj/051101/moran.shtml

[/snip]

Tara, you make so much sense my toes curl.  Ripped from the headlines,
'"Abortion doctors commit premeditated, cold-blooded murder 10 or 20 times a
day," said the Rev. David Trosch, a Catholic priest from Mobile, Ala. "What
Paul Hill did was absolutely justified. It was not murder. It was taking the
life of a murderer who intended to commit further murders."'

What part of 'Thou shalt not kill' is so confusing for some people?

saving all my marshmallows for hot cocoa,

-Sean G.