[thechat] Cop cars

Ben Dyer bendyer at swbell.net
Thu Sep 4 16:59:36 CDT 2003

Hey, alright - something I can answer that isn't about anime. :D

Most cop cruisers seem to be either Chevrolet Caprice Classics or Ford
Crown Victorias.  Here in Dallas (and surrounding environs), only the
older fleet vehicles are Caprice Classics and most of the newer ones
are Crown Vics.  These are the vehicles you are likely envisioning.

I've seen other police departments use Jeep Cherokees as cruisers but
these don't seem to be as common.  Chevrolet Camaros are used in an
interceptor capacity sometimes (Dallas has a few, other suburbs have
some, too).

 From what I remember, auto manufacturers make "cop cars" as a result of
what vehicles they create the police add-on packages for: your light
and siren package, your grill package, improved horsepower, reinforced
tires, upgraded electronics - can't remember if bulletproof glass is a
part of it or not, I thought it was cost-prohibitive.

--Ben