[thechat] Stocking the bar

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 9 12:43:18 CDT 2003

>So, trade expert, gimme some tips on running a successful bar.
>Music, lighting, >seating, how to sell cocktails to people, etc.

I'm not really a business woman.  I mean, I can make a drink,
maintain a bar, and converse and flirt for tips, but that's about as
complex as I ever needed to get.

I think it's like building a web site.  YEAH THAT'S THE TICKET!

Figure out who is your intended audience (market niche), find out
what they want, and proceed accordingly.

You said something about restrictions on women in the workplace, so I
don't know about that, but the sexy yet competent, maybe a bit salty,
female barmaid is pretty much a staple in a lot of bars I've been in.
(sexy but not sleazy, it's a balance.)  Barring that, I think a good
employee is key.  Most people want good service, and when things are
slow, someone to talk with.  So personality is a major thing.  Also,
you want people who are not going to steal from you.  Hire good
people and keep them happy.

Most people in bars are there to spend, so once you draw in your
intended audience, you just want to make it pleasant for them, and
they will naturally hang out, drink and spend money.

Again, I drew a lot of customers who just liked me.  Some even
followed me when I changed jobs, even changing from a micro-brewery
to a bowling ally.

It's all about audience.  Are they wealthy businessmen?  Classy
cocktails and decor... you have a restaurant?  A pleasant sitting
lounge where they can hang, drink, and talk while waiting for a
table.  Probably dim lighting, but light enough so you can see.  Keep
stuff clean, ashtrays, etc.  Maybe carpet to mute noise.

Are they coming with their mistresses?  booths.  dark corners.

Are they young, hip, ready to party?  Lots of cheap beer in cheap
containers. (In Portland, it's all about the cheap Pabst... cheap
Pabst is the mark of the hipster joint).

Just regular folks?  Just be classy.  I tend to think you can't go
wrong with classy. Comfortable seats, lights not too bright or too
dark... but most important, in my opinion, is good service.

Yes, I would like to go back into the business actually, because I
like flexibility and tips.  I just am not into the pavement pounding
required to land one of those jobs, and it's hard to juggle the child
care.  And I've been out for 10 years, so I'd probably have to work
my way up to where I want to be, and it just makes me tired to think
about it.  I mean, I get a certain amount of respect doing white
collar work... it would be a little weird to jump back into service
industry.

Erika

--

Erika Meyer