[thechat] Anime Update: Millennium Actress

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Sep 10 13:05:36 CDT 2003

Ben Dyer noted:

>>Also, a number of fans keep comparing Cowboy Bebop and Trigun together
>>(also Outlaw Star), but the series aren't really comparable on many
>>levels.

Agreed. They just happen to be the first two (and only) series I've seen.
[Quietly discounting old Speed Racer and Astroboy stuff.]

>>It seems like you've gotten past the point in Trigun where it changes in
>>direction and mood, which is good because a lot of people write off the
>>series based on the first few episodes of silliness.

Yeah. I had checked around for reviews and info before buying. I saw the
warning about the change after the first few episodes.

>>Jeez.  Who was the vendor?  I'm pretty wary about who I trust selling
>>anime stuff online - lots of fly-by-nighters, lots of bootlegs.

kinghilldvd.com - I won't be buying from them again. Only because of
the lack of communications. I *suspect* that (perhaps contrary to
my other two series purchases) this may actually be a "legit" copy.
The evidence, counselor? [Sorry - had jury duty last Monday.]
(a) Although clearly offered for sale as 'used' it was twice the
price of the other two series I bought as 'new'. (b) It seems to be
the 'right' number of discs, 4 - three for the episodes and one for
music videos. (My other series seem to have fewer discs than they
should.) (c) The packaging seems 'right'. This one is a box containing
four discs, each of which is in an individual plastic 'jewel?' case
-- similar to what you buy a single movie in. (The others were in
professional looking but, I think, easily reproducable multifold
cardboard containers with a clear plastic cover sheath.)  The only
thing squirrelly about this packaging was that after opening the (I
think redone) shrink wrap on the box, only one of the individual disc
plastic cases was "production" shrink wrapped - complete with those
blasted stickers on top and bottom.  I say squirrelly because it was
'disc 1'. Who would sell off a used multidisc set without ever opening
disc 1?  If they would have written to tell me disc 1 was damaged and
that they had a new one on backorder to replace it - I wouldn't have
any complaint ... but I never got any communication out of them ... and
that's just bad business.

>>Ah, two excellent choices.  I really enjoyed Boogiepop Phantom, but if
>>you plan to get it, get the whole thing at once

Will do.

>>...it's my personal second favorite behind Bebop.

Coolio!  ;-)

>>And you're barely scratching the surface of fandom on a lot of this
>>stuff.  I'm still waiting for someone to bring up fansubs... :)

Did a search. Took a cursory glance at a site or two. What the heck
are these? A way to order Japanese language only things that never were /
aren't ever planned to be released elsewhere?

The prices here ($4 a VCD) sounded good. Any titles to especially look
for or stay away from?
http://www.soyokazefans.com/

RonL.
(Feeling the mud pull his boots in deeper.)