[thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Sep 10 17:48:46 CDT 2003

Ron wrote:
> The East Coast, (New Jersey especially), also has things called "jug
> handles" -  that's where you go to the right ... to make a left-hand
> turn. Dang - I found  lots of links, but no pix.  ;-(

We have these -- well, the total opposite (go left to make a right-hand
turn), obviously, because we drive on the left -- in the Central
Business District of Melbourne. We call them 'Hook Turns', and they're
notorious for confusing the bejeezus out of visitors to Melbourne.

Basically, they're used in the middle of the city where you would be
turning right across a tram lane. Otherwise, you'd pull out into the
middle of the intersection like a normal right turn and delay
any trams wanting to go straight through the intersection.

Melbourne being the only city in Australia with any sort of significant
tram network (indeed, one of the few in the world these days), we're
the only ones who need 'em.

Flash demonstration, for those who are still confused:
<http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/victoria/melb/hook_turn.html>

Paul