[thechat] Stocking the bar

Andrew Forsberg andrew at uber.net.nz
Wed Sep 10 20:02:02 CDT 2003

> Isaac wrote:
> >In some cases. Today I had this group of 4 almost-80 year olds who gave
> >*really* specific orders. Like, glass, number of cubes of ice, amounts
> >of everything, etc, etc. What a pain. What about giving a request and
> >then being surprised if the result isn't what you're used to!?

Erika replied with:
> I had to be trained, and it was annoying to him that he had to train me.

Agree entirely, but it's necessary. Being 'surprised' by a drink is
quite low on my list of things I want from a bar.

Two recent examples come to mind: if I wanted a @#$@#@# fluffy egg drink
in a highball I would *not* have asked for a margarita, ok?

Second e.g., at another bar: asked for a manhattan, bar tender's eyes
glaze over, mouth droops -- one hopeful at the far end says she likes
manhattans, can I remind her of the ingredients. "Canadian club,
vermouth, bitters, no vegetables or fruit if you don't mind. Bourbon
will do if there's no canadian. Kinda like a martini cocktail." "Sure
thing love!" Up comes a fizzy pink drink, in a beer glass, she
apologizes: "Sorry, love, we didn't have any grenadine." Now how the
hell did that one go wrong?

They weren't even sloppy establishments... Cocktails and Auckland don't
seem to mix.

Andrew
--
Andrew Forsberg <andrew at uber.net.nz>