[thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

Elfur Logadottir elfur at elfur.is
Wed Sep 10 21:45:19 CDT 2003

From: "Erika Meyer"

| >roundabout == traffic circle?
|
| A roundabout is like a round intersection with no stop sign... you go
| around and veer off.  They IMO are way way better than 4 way stops
| (especially when driving stick).  But Americans tend to react to them
| much as we react to the metric system... "oooh! it makes too much
| sense!  I am not used to it!  I can't deal with it!"
|
| Roundabouts have fewer accidents than 4-way stops, and when there are
| accidents they are generally less severe (not like when someone
| drives 50 mph straightaway thru a red light).

Roundabouts are usually the good option for semi busy crossroads. Where
most of the time all you need is a stop sign, but then comes rush hour.
They handle a certain amount of traffic better than traffic lights, but
only to a degree. With a busy street corners, where they are busy *all the
time* and the cluster only increases during rush hours, you're better off
with traffic lights though.

elfur