[thechat] Stocking the bar

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Sep 11 10:38:20 CDT 2003

Judah McAuley wrote:

> You also have to understand that *everywhere* in Portland has good beer,
> including bowling alleys.  It's like fluoridation in the drinking water
> except that it isn't controversial.  Good beer (and coffee and wine) is
> so pervasive in many parts of Oregon that there is this weird backlash
> that gives cred to places that go out of their way to serve bad beer and
> coffee.  PBR, for instance, has a certain allure about it due to its low
> class associations.  Kind of a beverage anti-gentrification movement.  I
>  try to avoid romanticising bad beer, but I will admit to a certain
> fondness for warm PBR in the right mood and place.

A few years ago when I was biking and trekking around China, I was
surprised to find that the most common "imported" (US-brand) beer
being sold by street vendors was -- PBR. And they also were selling
PBR-branded bottled water, which seemed way wierd. Haven't had any
here in the US in a long time, though...

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.