[thechat] No Roundabouts In Japan?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 11:23:26 CDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:54:30 -0700, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan at webtuitive.com> wrote:

> Too wild, but ...
>
> % Most accidents have involved cyclists and motorcyclists and now a
> cycle lane
> % running right round the outside of the roundabout, with pelican
> crossings,
> % should ensure that the Magic Roundabout becomes as safe as it is
> efficient.
>
> ..I'll bite -- what are "pelican crossings"??

Ah...

Zebra crossings - pedestrian crossings marked by black and white (hence
zebra) road panel markings and a orange beacon atop a pole.

motorists stop for pedestrians on the crossing

Pelican crossings:

A Zebra Crossing with traffic lights that can be operated by the
pedestrian - walk up, push a button, lights go red, traffic stops.
(traffic can pass a flashing amber if no pedestrians are actually on the
crossing.

Puffin crossings (new)

A pelican crossing with a sensor that cancels the request for the ligts to
change if the pedestrian walks away.

Toucan crossings

Pelican/puffin with cyclist facilities

and Pegasus crossings
(for horses!)

http://www.2pass.co.uk/crossing.htm

hth

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923