[thechat] Too Much Stuff

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Sep 24 13:24:15 CDT 2003

Sabrina Dent offered much good advice on using eBay:

Hi Bri!

>>Photos are really important.

Agreed.  That was *one* of my excuses for buying the digital camera.

>>Books almost always sell, though it's a pain in the arse to list them.

Do you think box lots would work for paperback books ... instead of one
at a time?  That was one thing I was wondering about ... the collectable
books (that I would be willing to part with anyway) I would do one at a
time, but could I do say a box of 20 or so Isaac Asimov titles, or a set
of (roughly) 38 Dragon Lance books?

>>Remember that making money isn't always the point -- getting rid of
>>stuff is often more important.

I absolutely agree.

>>Do,however, get your postage right

I'm hip.

>>in the US, I provide my ZIP code, the weight of the item, and a link to
>>the USPS rate calculator, since shipping costs depend on destination zone.

AHHH! D'Oh! Great idea!  Thanks!

>>[re: that big expensive booger] What is it?

Realize first of all that I am totally and unalterably insane ... OK?

Now, despite nagroms many interesting guesses ... on the surface
anyway the item itself is a tad more mundane than that.

It's my dining room set; table, chairs, china hutch.

It's not, (he hastens to add), a 'normal' dining room set. (That just
wouldn't be *me* now would it?) My wife and ex-wives would add (and
often _have_ added) a number of expletiginous adjectives in front of
the phrase 'dining room set'.

I had to place an order to have it built. 'Built' as in hand-constructed by
a group of monks located in upstate New York. (At this point you probably
think I'm kidding.)

It's the same group that built King Faisal's dining room table - although
he did order one a tad larger than mine. (Compensating ...? Never mind.)

Chippendale styling. Solid black walnut construction. (Furniture like this
is one reason people raise black walnut trees as an investment.) The slab
for the table top is probably close to 2" thick.  The table expands to
take three leaves ... each leaf is about 2 foot in width.  Steel I-beams
are used for the table expansion rails.  It's ... ummmm ... it's heavy.
Very very pretty. But definitely heavy.

I bought it about 20 years ago.  At that time the list price was a few
grand more ... <deep breath />

... a few grand more than the price of a brand new Mustang GT automobile.

I _did_ mention I was insane, didn't I? Oh, good ... the voices in my
head weren't sure if I had mentioned that yet.

Anyway. I need to sell the bugger.  It's can be a tad of a
relationship-strainer when you have to walk away from buying a home just
because your dining room set won't fit.

But as you can also understand ... financially I can't afford to take
too bad a beating on unloading this thing.

Again, I'm not sure this is the kind of thing a newspaper classified ad
works for.  I read the classifieds. These aren't the kinds of things I
see in there.

Thanks,

RonL.
(Not to worry though ... even without the set we will still continue to
entertain and have folks over for dinner ... should you wander down
this-a way.)