[thechat] 2 Mac questions

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sun Oct 5 18:22:00 CDT 2003

Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Kevin Stevens wrote:
>

>>>D-Link DSL-504 - 4-port 10/100 switch, adsl modem, does nat and some other
>>>fancy stuff, you can pick it up from ebuyer, scan, amazon for around
>>
>>75-100
>>
>>>quid - very very good, very very worth the spondoolicks.
>>
>>I've heard NetGear is the best, do you think D-Link is better? And, say I
>>bought one of these (I'm thinking of updating my network anyway) can I just
>>unplug the modem Blueyonder gave me and plug this thing in instead?
>

> No, the router goes after the modem. BY's modem has a coax on the outward
> side and ethernet on the inward side. You take a normal ethernet cable
> from the modem to the router.

Not in the case of the specific router I mentioned (the DSL-504) which is
an ADSL modem with a 4-port switch built in - very much not compatible with
cable.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like