[thechat] advice on buying a digital camcorder

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Sun Oct 5 19:56:14 CDT 2003

dad wants to buy a digital movie camera

i have seen three types --
- dvd camcorders
- mini-dv camerals
- hi8 or mini8 or similar

my questions about the differences (aside from huge price point gaps) --

dvd camcorder records on a dvd disk that you can simply run in the computer?

mini-dv use a little cassette tape (so how to get it into the computer?)

hi8 or whatever it's called records in analog, so that's out?

my main interest is being able to edit on the computer

oh, and the reason i am contemplating the purchase is because both my kids
are in classes at school where they have a movie project

so this means the simpler the better

looks and size don't matter, functionality does, but the fewer "gizmos" the
better

i don't need any fancy schmancy editing features in the camera if i get
computer software (has to be windows xp and 2000pro compatible) and my
intention is that all movies must end up on the computer and the easier the
better

the sticker price of the dvd camcorder is a problem, as is the fact that i
don't have a dvd player or dvd drive on my computer

so...

any advice?

rudy

who does own a camcorder, one of those big ones from the 90's that sits on
your shoulder and takes full size vhs cassettes and requires batteries that
cost $100 that die on you after a couple weeks and don't recharge