[thechat] advice on buying a digital camcorder

Isaac Forman isaac at bigtrip.org
Sun Oct 5 20:00:54 CDT 2003

> i have seen three types --
> - dvd camcorders
> - mini-dv camerals
> - hi8 or mini8 or similar

Friend at the office who has shot TVCs and very decent short films on
his little Sony miniDV (then edited in iMovie or similar) says miniDV.
Then hook it all up via firewire. You'll probably want a decent
harddrive (he uses a 120gig firewire external). You can get adapters
that play the miniDV cassettes in a standard VCR.

> who does own a camcorder, one of those big ones from the 90's
> that sits on your shoulder and takes full size vhs cassettes
> and requires batteries that cost $100 that die on you after a
> couple weeks and don't recharge

My parents still have one of those in the attic...

isaac