[thechat] Pronounce URL

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 06:37:20 CDT 2003

> Jorah Lavin wrote:
> > So... now I'm wondering if he just made that up, or if there is
> > regional or sub-cultural variations in the way the term is spoken.

I'm American and have lived in the North East and, God help me, the
South. I had *never* heard it pronounced "earl" until I moved to the UK.
I had always assumed it was an intensely annoying Brit thing, much as
"termater" is a deeply annoying Arkansas thing.

> Once 2 people who used these idioms were working together,
> and I swear I heard the following exchange from 2 nearby desks:
> 	"What's the 'earl'?"
> 	"Dub-dub-dub dot (whatever) dot com."

It could have been worse, because you have the // pronounced as "whack"
thing, too.

And thus we get:

"The earl is 'h-t-t-p colon whack-whack dub-dub-dub dot
is-it-rooter-or-row-ter dot com'"