[thechat] Pronounce URL

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Mon Oct 6 19:19:09 CDT 2003

Sabrina the Teenage Dent wrote:
> Much better than "forward slash forward slash" -- the default popular
> first choice, but a term not nearly as elegant as "backslash" IMHO.

How about 'slash slash'?

They can just be 'slash' and 'backslash', the 'forward' is then not
required.

Of course, we haven't even got started on people who say
	haitch-tee-tee-pee
when it should, of course, be
	aitch-tee-tee-pee

It's aitch-tee-tee-pee-colon-slash-slash-dubble-you-dubble-you-dubble-you,
damn you all...

The phrase "the earl is haitch-tee-tee-pee-colon-forward-slash-forward-
slash-dub-dub-dub", if I were to ever hear it, would probably cause me
some sort of seizure.

Paul.