[thechat] Pronounce URL

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Mon Oct 6 20:49:54 CDT 2003

At 12:37 10/03/03 +0100, you wrote:
>dub-dub-dub

(in shame) I've used this, because of having to say
"doubleyoudoubleyoudoubleyou" so many dozen times a day. A co-worker says
"whack whack," but only in terms of backslashes (!?!) and I use "slash slash"

One of the odd things... non-tech people I work with seem unable to believe
that they can just type in "whatever.com" and get the site, they insist
that I recite the dub-yew, dub-yew, dub-yew, like an incantation.

Another odd thing is their insistence in using backslashes in URLs... I
mean, I have a very hard time believing that that many of them "grew up" in
DOS... so why do they SO want to use \\ all the time?

Oh, while I'm ranting, why, when I say "click there," they stop and ask me
if I mean the left or the right click, when EVERY OTHER FRIGGING TIME that
I wanted them to right-click, I've come right out and told them so. And no
matter how many times I point out to them the advantages of using
right-click in so many situations, they REFUSE to learn it; it is the "do
not touch" mouse button, only invoked when on the phone with desktop
support (or with me, whom they call when they can't reach desktop support,
even though I'm a Process Analyst, and have never done desktop support.

Okay. I'll try to stop hyperventilating now.

-Jorah