[thechat] Super Dimension Fortress

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sun Oct 12 23:58:07 CDT 2003

I was writing up a summary for school on the difference between the Internet
and the Web, and it got me started thinking about Gopher, which was fast
fading in '96 when I got online. I wondered if it was still operating
anywhere, and when I started searching I found something on the wikipedia
that looks really cool:

http://sdf.lonestar.org/

It is like some sort of throwback to the mid 90s. If you have fond memories
of using command line utilities and you don't have ready access to some of
those types of toys, you might check it out. Basic membership is (basically)
free... you have to send them your name and a buck to prove that you are
serious. You can buy higher levels of membership.

Most of the folks on this list probably have their own shell accounts or are
running servers themselves, but even though I've got access to a *NIX shell
account already, I decided to sign up. How can I resist a chance to play
games like Lander, the LEM lander game?

Any of you heard of this thing? Find it interesting?

-Jorah

-============================================-
 The Super Dimension Fortress is a networked community of free
software authors, teachers, students, researchers, hobbyists and
enthusiasts. It is operated as a non-profit 501(c)7 and is supported
and governed by its members.
Our mission is to provide remotely accessible computing facilities for
the advancement of public education, cultural enrichment, scientific
research and recreation. Members can interact electronically with each
other regardless of their location using passive or interactive forums.
Further purposes include the recreational exchange of information
concerning the Liberal and Fine Arts.

Members have access to games, email, usenet, chat, bboard, webspace,
gopherspace, programming utilities, archivers, browsers, and more. The
SDF community is made up of caring, highly skilled people who operate
behind the scenes to maintain a non-commercial INTERNET.

For information about membership levels, click on 'donate' above.