[thechat] more advice on buying a digital camcorder, please

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 12:45:35 CDT 2003

On Sunday, October 19, 2003, at 05:52  pm, rudy wrote:

> and the still pics go onto a "memory stick"
> which downloads to the computer in a different manner, through the USB
> port

You can get readers for memory sticks (mmmm proprietory Sony
technology) I think which run over firewire, but they're expensivo.

USB is generally fast enough for stills unless you're running huge
resolutions (>1500x2000), which you probably won't be from a movie
digicam.

> so i ask the salesman, what is the big deal with the still pics and the
> lame way you have to get them downloaded if you already have a firewire
> cable which is supposed to be ten times faster to download the movie?

If it already has firewire, yes, it's a bit lame

> see, the thing i don't understand is, if you can download a movie,
> and if you plan, as i do, to do the editing on the computer, why in the
> hell would you pay for a separate facility to take still pics?
>
> wouldn't you just pick the best frame out of the movie to make a still
> from?

Depends  on the quality of the movies, I suppose.

> i guess i am assuming here that the movie editing software, which i
> have yet
> to investigate, will let you look at individual frames
>
> will movie frames be suitable for still pics?

Check the maximum resolutions for each one... I would expect that
you're getting a mid-range stills camera. If that's worth CN$150, then
go for it. If you already have a capable stills camera, wouldn't bother
really.

Cheers
Martin