[thechat] CD Drive Ceases To Read CDs

Chris Marsh chris at ecleanuk.com
Thu Oct 30 05:33:09 CST 2003

Dear all

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate forum for this post, so if not
feel free to mpoint this out to me.

A friend of mine has a a PC with an internal CD burner. He told me that
some time ago it stopped reading *some* CDs, but not all; seemingly
randomly. Now, it will not read any CDs at all. I took a look at it
yesterday, and this proves to be the case. I tried home-burnt CDs, and
original MS CDs, all with the same effect. It seems to accept that there
is a CD in the drive and it does not complain that the CD needs
formatting (or indeed any message at all), but in the Properties window
it informs me that there is 0 data, and the drive has a size of 0. It
also claims that the FS is RAW. Has anyone else come across anything
similar? Any advice much appreciated...

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Chris Marsh