[thechat] Matrix Revolutions

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sun Nov 9 09:22:50 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Elfur Logadottir" <elfur at elfur.is>

>  I went and enjoyed it
> somewhat, although, i still think that the first one was the best by far.

After the second movie came out, I saw a review which clarified for me the
problems I was having with the change in quality from the first to the
second.

The reviewer mentioned that the W brothers claimed (after the success of the
first movie) that their vision had always been of a trilogy of movies.
However, the first movie truly was satisfying on its own, and the reviewer
felt that their never was a vision of three movies, that the first one
finished the story as it stood, and that the brothers were basically
hitching a ride on their own star by going ahead and milking the concept for
two more movie.

This makes a lot of sense to me, and while I'll watch the third one when it
comes out on disk, in the future I plan to think of this "trilogy" as one
movie with two lame knockoffs, just as with one of my favorite books of
yesteryear, _The Gameplayers of Zan_, a bit fiction from the mid 70s which
was well thought out and entertaining, followed by two "sequels" that were
strained and not much fun.

-Jorah