[thechat] minneapolis

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Nov 21 12:00:44 CST 2003

Chris Evans wrote:
> Luther, Ron wrote:
>
>> I didn't know you was a Buckeye!
>

> Born and bred! Hell, this Saturday is a considered a holiday, and taking
> a half day on Friday to get drunk "for the team" is a valid excuse.
> We'll be turning over cars and throwing burning couches into the street
> on Saturday night - a celebration if we win, a riot if we lose.

I'm sure it will be a losing riot this year.  Having watched a couple of
OSU games this season, I believe they have redefined the term "ugly
win". I'm astounded that they have one as many games as they have. Some
sort of pact with the devil surely. Regardless, Michigan is a great team
and I think its about time they gave the Buckeyes a real smackdown.

> I tried that last year, but since I'm 34 years old and living in a nice
> middle class neighborhood, I found it was a pain in the ass to roll my
> neighbor's SUV, and I couldn't find a couch on the porch.
>
> Do other people keep couches on their porches, or is that a redneck Ohio
> thing?

I've been lamenting the lack of good riots in Eugene. When I was a
student, there were tear gassings and cop cars rolled and things set on
fire.  These days, pfffft. What is the point of living in a college town
if not for drunken student riots? Closest thing they've recently was
make a small bon fire in a traffic circle and then drive a golf cart
into it.  A golf cart? Nothing about a golf cart says "riot" to me.
Wusses I tell you.

And yes, there are plenty of couches on the porches here. City council
has actually been considering a law to ban couches and recliners and
such on the porches. They've had problems getting a definition that
would make ratty old couches illegal, but allow nice wicker lawn
furniture and such. People complain that the furniture is an eyesore,
but I think we have slightly more important things to worry about than
the furniture aesthetics of the student population.

Hoping for a good Civil War riot tomorrow,
Judah