[thechat] Offence by Date

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at hotpop.com
Sun Nov 30 07:44:19 CST 2003

Hello Everybody,
The topic that I want to share with you is a bit political.

I am now a regular visitor of Microsoft newsgroups. I am learning a lot from
those newsgroups. There are newsgroups about almost every software of MS.

Last night I posted a problem of Excel to an Excel NG. The problem was related
to date calculations.
Incidentally, the dates, which were involved in problem, were September 11, 2000
and September 11, 2005. I copied my formula from Excel containing these dates
and pasted into my news message. But before posting the message I changed the
dates, months and even years. I did it because I thought that anybody could take
offence by the usage of these dates considering their match with the date of WTC
event.

Was my decision to change the actual dates right or it was unnecessary?
Could USA citizens in NG take offence if I had used the actual dates?

Your reply will help me in my future technical correspondence with people on
international forums.

Thank you,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider.