[thechat] Public about MJ

Alan McCoy a.r.mccoy at larc.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 1 07:55:38 CST 2003

=> My question is, what is the public opinion in USA about MJ?
=> Do people think that he is really that kind of bad guy?
=>
=> What is your personal opinion?

Well, back in grade school around 1971 or so, I was a big Jackson 5 fan. All
the girls liked the Osmonds (mainly because of Donny's pretty teeth) and all
us guys liked the Jacksons because they could dance their asses off WHILE
they were playing and singing. Pretty impressive! Of course, then KISS came
along and we forgot all about the Jackson 5.

I did like MJ's music during his "Off The Wall" and "Thriller" period. Then
things started to get very weird. I was recently watching an interview with
a guy who was MJ's (approved) biographer for a number of years and he
mentioned the incident with MJ being photographed sleeping in an oxygen
chamber. He said it was pretty much staged but went on to say "but then
again, you have to wonder what kind of a person wants you to THINK he sleeps
in an oxygen chamber."

As for the creepy pedophile stuff, I think that he's gone so far to ensure
his own privacy (as well as the privacy of his young visitors) that he has
created such a closed environment that there's no one left to testify on his
behalf. Apparently, absolutely no one is allowed access to the ranch while
he has children staying with him and I can kind of understand that on the
sole basis of protecting the privacy of those children (only because he
realizes he is such a huge media magnet), but in doing that he has
eliminated any possibility of provable innocence. Whether he actually did
anything to them or not is something for the court to decide. I think he's a
major fool to keep inviting children to stay with him, but not as big a fool
as the parents who willingly bring their children there.

What I'd REALLY like to know from all of you, is this: If you were going to
produce a movie about the recent life of MJ, who would you choose to direct
it?

Personally, I'm torn between two choices...Tim Burton and David Lynch. ;-)

Alan