[thechat] 7-bit/8-bit ascii email

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 19:23:22 CST 2003

I've mentioned my friend here at work, Chuck, our
alphageek. He's tired of paying full price at
regiser.com so he's trying to renew his domains
through
joker.com based on my endorsement of joker.com. He,
like me, is stuck in Solaris 2.5.1 and he's using the
email client that's part of the Solaris CDE, Mailer
1.0.1. He's getting emails back from joker.com saying
"you're using 7-bit ascii, please set your email app
8-bit ascii" (or vice versa). Mailer just doesn't seem
to give you a choice here. But what's up with that? Do
these people want his money or not?

signed,

confused