[thechat] Knighthood for 'father of the Web'

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Jan 15 02:36:56 CST 2004

Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Do Web Geeks here believe that this "father of the World Wide Web" is the true
> "father of the World Wide Web"?

He *invented* the World Wide Web as we know it - there is nothing to
"believe" as such, as it is fact that he is directly responsible for it's
creation.  Of course, you can look back to previous hypertext proposals and
implementations which Berners-Lee undoubtedly was aware of at the time, cf
Vannevar Bush, Doug Englebart, Ted Nelson, et al, so in that context, they
are akin to "grandfathers" of the web, but Berners-Lee is definitely the
"father".

Read Tim's own account: http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/ShortHistory

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like