[thechat] Another "L." in the Limelight!

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Tue Jan 20 13:10:44 CST 2004

Drew Shiel noted:

>>I was nearly on one of those when I was in school. I was the fourth in
>>line for a three person team, so if any of them were sick, I'd step in.

Hi Drew,

Yeah ... I think my son was also the alternate ... but one of the three
got sick or grounded or whatever ... so he made the show. (Me? - I forgot
to even go to the dang tryout!)

>>Speaking of sports, I'm just back, battered and bruised, from a weekend
>>of heavy armoured combat, SCA-style. Anyone else here in the SCA?

Not me ... but when we ran a large 'middle earth' group back in the late
70s / early 80s ... we would have lots of SCA folks show up for our
parties and whatnot ... (especially the whatnot, the SCA folks were pretty
big on that!)

{I remember some guy ...'baron lord laurelin darksbane' ... I think he was
a high muckety muck running an area covering Eastern Ohio and Western
Pennsylvania ... dunno if the districting has been redrawn since then.}

I understand the SLA-ers pop out of the woodwork here in Houston to
attend the annual 'Renaissance Fair' ... but I haven't seen them here yet.

;-)

RonL.
(The 1800, 1900, and 2000+ chess players are battering me about on the
chess field ... does that count? [Yeah, some bugger writing housing
policy for Wales has a rating of "2000"! ... and I'm playing him in a
tourny for 1300 to 1600 ranked players? Booger!])