[thechat] Dead Monkey

s t e f evolt at nota-bene.org
Wed Feb 18 06:31:38 CST 2004

<quote who=' Paul Cowan'>
> If you haven't heard, well...
>
> <http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,62300,00.html>
>
> Have to admit, I was never a massive fan of WebMonkey anyway, at least
> after it stopped being 'how do I do <cool and useful thing x>?' and
> became  'how do I do <annoying unusable slow-downloading thing y>' and
> got full of  its own self-importance -- and the fact that I can even
> remember the former  means I'm certainly showing my age -- but I still
> certainly got some use  out of that site back in the day...

*sigh*

I would react like you. I loved learning the job on Webmonkey's
schoolbenches, I disliked the last years, but kept the site close to my
heart as it was one of my long-lasting references (1997 is what-- two or
three web revolutions away, already)... and stable references, too.

After all, that's where I first read names like [insert here evolt's
founders and evolt's old members], not to mention Derek Powazek, Jeff
Veen, etc.

Ah, that's life.
Here's to our past life.
And here's to evolt's five-year anniversary.

Side note: it's true what they say in the Wired article, that Webmonkey
helped set a standard of unformal technical writing. They paved the way
for online writing that is not too hard to read: conversational yet full
of meat. That's not a little thing.

--
s t e f
http://www.nota-bene.org/