[thechat] investments, gasoline, and stupidity (not necessarily in that order)

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Sun May 2 14:29:04 CDT 2004

Well, due to a reduced caffeine intake, I managed to send a reply to
thechat instead of thejudah. Not that the post is any less relevant
than most of the others I've seen lately, but I suppose a little
additional context would have been nice. Sorry.

(The beer invitation is hereby extended to all list members, and you
don't even have to be able to discuss rally -- though it helps.)

I will now attempt to provide some sort of actual content:

via Metafilter -- the 14 Bucks Project (http://www.14bucks.com/), an
attempt to turn $14 into $1000 in 1 year through low-risk investments.
Many people consider it a waste of time; I'm fascinated.

And, to chime in on fuel prices: I can safely estimate an average
annual expenditure of about $40 per year on fossil fuels, so the
ups-and-downs don't interest me too much. That's $40 in direct
purchases of gasoline, of course, when borrowing cars (or rides) from
friends. It does not take into account the indirect contributions when
I ride a bus or get a (rare) free ride from someone.

I take a great deal of pride in the fact that my last bike, which was
in good shape and which I enjoyed riding, cost me about $200 a year,
total, including initial purchase cost. (Before it was stolen, that
is.) I know people who have spent more per year on junky cars that they
never drive.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net