[thechat] surfacing

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Jun 1 10:42:20 CDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 10:09 AM, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Martin Burns noted:
>
>>> True, but being surrounded by Americans you realise that the average
>>> is
>>> better (certainly more intelligent and better informed) than the
>>> majority of American tourists we get here
>
> Ouch!
>
> [Ron painfully remembers strolling over to Notre Dame Cathedral ...
> seeing the doors open on a tour bus across the way ... and watching
> the first 'ugly' American exit the bus ... overweight ... stogie in
> mouth ... and clad in plaid bermuda shorts, black socks, sandals, and
> a replica NFL jersey for the quarterback in Ron's home town ... [1]

Reminds me of a beautiful, sunny December day by the Spanish Steps in
Rome, watching girls in the unseasonably warm weather, the sonorous
tone of the Ferrari taking its last run of the year before being put up
for winter, mulling over which bar to get the next espresso in.... and
suddenly hearing some gavone yell, "Anybody here from New Yawk City?"
at the top of his lungs in the middle of the crowd.

<shudder...>

/me raises the collar of his trench coat and skulks away...

Mi dispiace...non parlo inglese...

bob