[thechat] Linux partition help

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 05:23:22 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:06:01PM +1000, Paul Cowan wrote:

> /home is a separate partition, so ideally I'd like to just move the data
> onto the new disk and then change /home from being /dev/hda3 to being
> /dev/hdb1 (or whatever).

The quick overview (these steps can result in data loss, so make
sure you have backups!)

0: You've got your backups right? Tested them? Good....

1: Power down and attach the new hard drive

2: Powerup and then format (/sbin/fdisk /dev/hd{whatever}) and create a
file system on the drive. 'mke2fs' is the main command, but depending on
the file system you want there may be a wrapper script for it. EG for an
ext3 filesystem the command on debian is mkfs.ext3

3: Mount the new drive somewhere temporary (mkdir /tmpdrv && mount
/dev/hd{whatever} /tmpdrv)

4: Copy across existing /home to the new drive. You'll want to use 'cp -p'
to preserve ownership and perms.

5: Edit /etc/fstab with an entry for your new drive. Mine looks like this:

[root at cincinnati root] # grep home /etc/fstab
/dev/hda3       /home           ext3    defaults    0   2

6: Reboot, and you should be good to go.

> Then, if I can merge /dev/hda3 with /dev/hda2 (/usr), that would be
> wonderful.

Merging I don't think will be possible (not without setting up Logical
Volume Management, not sure if RH8 has it running or not), but you could
mount the old drive as /usr/local for example, depending on how much
space you have on it.

Some more URLs that might help:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;171470406;fp;2;fpid;1039317049
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html