boomhauer (was RE: [thechat] Nitrogen Tires?)

Martin martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 05:04:42 CDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Morgan Kelsey wrote:

> > > <Boomhauer mumbling>
> > > ... cantfitedangolprogressman ...
> > > thassjusculturecominuponthebacksideyaknow
> > > ... dangolnutzonabigasstruckman ... thassjeshowitis!
> > > <Boom />
> >
> > I had a hard time convincing folks in SoCal that Boomhauer speaks quite
> > clearly compared to many Texans I've met. They still think the show is
> > intended to be funny. Perhaps they've never lived with those people, eh?
>
> We took a family trip to London when I was a kid, all I wanted was a ham
> sandwich -- I had a far easier time in France (where people love to speak
> english with stupid americans, apparently).
>
> Then there was the first time I went to a Subway Sandwich shop on the lower
> east side of NYC....The guy kept asking me "Why are we? Why are we?"
> I didn't get it, just kept kinda looking at him quizzically until he held up
> two loaves: one "white" and one "wheat".

Well that's Laaaaahnun for you.

Friend of mine from Glasgowish tells a couple of stories about when he'd
just moved down there on Graduation:

1) He went into a chippy and ordered a haddock supper[1].
Chippy guy: "Nah mate - we daaan't do sappers"
My mate: "OK, a cod supper then"
CG: Nah, we daaan't do cod sappers eyever
MM: Oh. errr, any kind of fish supper?
CG: Nah, no sappers
MM: You got fish, aye?
CG: Yep
MM: You got chips, right?
CG: Yep
MM: So I'll have a fish supper then
Chippy guy: "Nah mate - we daaan't do sappers"
[1] In a scottish chippy, a $foo supper is $foo with chips.

[2] He was sharing a flat with a colleague trainee, from somewhere in
Englandshire. Every day, they'd get back from the office, and my mate
would say "Right, I'm away out to get the messages[2]" and head out.
After maybe a month of this, his flatmate's curiosity got the better of
him, and he plucked up the courage to ask "Eddie... these messages... who
gives them to you?"
[2] Messages=shopping

Cheers
Martin