[thechat] Re: Digicam Shutter Lag Time

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 05:06:20 CDT 2004

On 23 Jul 2004, at 16:17, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>>                      For the time between pressing the button and the
>> shot being taken, much it is focus time, particularly on Compacts.
>> What several manufacturers offer (Sony for one) is a two-step
>> shutter: half-depress the button and the camera focuses. Push all the
>> way down and it takes the shot. If you're pre-focused, the shot is
>> remarkably quick.
>
> But that's exactly the problem with moving targets, like kids,
> pets, sports -- it's impossible to pre-focus.

I dunno - sports in particular are easy to predict, as Ron's already
outlined. Canon's USM focusing is very fast anyway.

> Usually I set my day-to-day Canon S110 to "rapid-fire" mode and
> figure at least one shot of the series will be worthwhile :-)

Oh the *only* way to play. The best way to get compliments on your
photography is to never, ever show anything that's not up to your ideal
standard.

>>> Taking high-res shots of small items for a project, and storing one
>>> shot takes -- OK, I haven't timed it, but it seems like forever :-)
>> One of the (many) good things about my Canon - it can take several
>> shots in a burst, buffering them before writing them to the card.
>
> Is that at the highest resolution setting?

High enough for me - my standard setting is (iirc) 1760x1360 JPEG,
resulting in a ~900k file. This prints nicely to A4 without any
noticeable artefacts (Epson Stylus Photo 950... yum). There's also a
neat Photoshop filter that fractally upscales images without
pixellation - I've had *really* big prints done from this (and smaller)
resolution originals[1] and they've been fine.

Cheers
Martin
[1] Photo for my parents in law of all their grandchildren. My Sony
digicam got dropped on the floor (ouch), so had to rely on PhotoCD from
my bro-in-law's film camera. Nowhere I went to seems to do the old
Kodak PhotoCD - they all push their own crappy consumer quality - and I
ended up with about 800x600 at a *really* dodgy quality. Photoshop++

Cheers
Martin
- --
Now playing on iTunes: "Cat Scratch Fever" by Hayseed Dixie from 'A
Hillbilly Tribute To Mountain Love' - a hit from way back in 2002