[thechat] Celtic vs Chelsea at Seattle en Espanol

Terry Fowler quackamoe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 2 11:53:33 CDT 2004

Well, Madhu asked for it.

Saturday before last I sat down to lunch and turned
on the TV and surfed around the channels for a while
when lo and behold I came upon the very beginning of
a game between Celtic* and Chelsea. I thought, "Hmm,
it's a nice sunny day in Chelsea" but it turns out it
was a nice sunny day in Seattle, Washington! I quite
enjoyed watching the game, even though the announcers
were
speaking Spanish. I turned the sound down kind of low
but not off; I wanted to hear the roar of the crowd.

I can never reliably, predictably find EPL soccer in
English, so I watch it in Spanish. Day before
yesterday,
another Saturday, I stumbled into the last 1/4 of
Manchester United vs AC Milan, played at Giants
Stadium
in New Jersey. It was 1-0 Manchester at 75 minutes and
Milan really looked they were just not in the game at
all. Then at about 89 minutes 30 seconds Milan scores.
The goal was made by a player with the all-so-Italian
name of Shevchenko.

Then they had a penalty kick shoot out that seemed
like it would never end and the stands were full all
the
way through the shootout, which Milan won on the 20th
kick. Attendance was 74,000.

I've checked http://www.championsworld.com/ and the
Seattle game was the closest one to me. Bummer. Oh,
and
the Manchester Milan game was being broadcast in
English,
so that was nice. I've also found
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/england so hopefully
I'll be able to catch the broadcasts in English.

I gather that the Championsworld Series is a set of
preseason games before the European season starts in
September. I intend to follow EPL fairly closely this
year; even my daughters have been watching these games
with me and actually enjoying them. In order to make
things
more interesting I'd like to have a team to root for.
What team would it make sense for me to root for,
having
ancestors from Devon and Cumbria? Preferably a team
with
a chance of winning! Suggestions? Any highly
recommended
URLs for a fledgeling football/futbol/fußball fan?

Terry

* On Fox en Español they were pronouncing it "Seltic."
Is
  that correct, or is it "Keltic"?