[thechat] Naming Conventions (was: Re: OT - Seeking Laptop Advice)

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Aug 4 07:16:12 CDT 2004

On 3/08/2004 5:58 PM +0100 William Anderson wrote:
> I think I've mentioned this before, but I go for Star Trek starship names
> for my kit - Federation/Starfleet ship names for personal kit, Klingon
> ship names for work kit.

At home, my machines are:
	pokey (Windows PC)
	gumby (music/media box)
	blockhead (linux mail server/firewall)
	goo (laptop)
	prickle (Pocket PC)

Of course, that doesn't leave me much room to grow. I've got Denali and
Minga to go, then I'm going to start struggling.

At work, we used to be animals (mine was Rhino), but we changed after the
network admin guy couldn't think of any more animals (no, stop laughing.
I'm serious. There's only like 6 MILLION species of animal or something.
One machine, after much head-scratching by he, got called 'calamari'. I
shit you not). After that, we changed to actors -- Paltrow, Brando, Deniro,
etc. Of course, being in the IT team, we chose our own goddamn names -- no
way I was getting lumped with 'Sarandon' or 'Nolte' -- so I grabbed Cusack.
After a hardware failure, I had to build a new machine, which is DelToro.
That's for desktops -- servers are (cunningly) named after directors
instead. Our development servers are Gilliam and Burton, our fileservers
Hitchcock and Reiner, our mail server Coen...

At my previous place of employment, though, we had a corker of a scheme
(thought of by me, he adds modestly) which was machines named after movie
monsters/bad guys -- Mothra, Godzilla, Freddy, Jason, a kick-ass db server
called TheBlob, and my personal favourite: my desktop, "Cujo".

What fun!

Paul